How to Manage Pests
UC Guide to Healthy Lawns
Planting and management tips for red fescue
- Mow at 1.5 - 2.5 inches or keep unmowed as a groundcover.
- Fertilize using 1 - 2 lbs. nitrogen/1000 sq. ft. per year during the
period of active growth (March - June; October - December).
- Seed at 3.5 - 4.5 lbs. seed/1000 sq. ft.
- A low to moderate amount of water is required.
- Water 1 - 2 times/week during the warm season; red fescue can go dormant
in the summer if watered too infrequently or if no water is available.
- Susceptible to most turfgrass diseases
- Low heat tolerance
- Slow seed germination and seedling growth (establishment)
- Low traffic tolerance
For more information, see the following sections: