How to Manage Pests
UC Guide to Healthy Lawns
Planting and management tips for colonial bentgrass
- Mow closely to form a dense turf.
- Mow at 0.5 - 1 inch.
- Mow frequently to avoid scalping injury.
- Leave lawn unmowed to form an excellent mat for soil stabilization.
- Fertilize using 3 - 5 lbs. nitrogen/1000 sq. ft. per year during
the period of active growth (March - June; September - November).
- Seed at 0.5 - 1 lb. seed/1000 sq. ft.
- Water frequently to maintain the shallow root system of colonial
- Susceptible to most turfgrass diseases
- Very low traffic tolerance
- Frequent and close mowing requirements
- Low drought tolerance
- Produces heavy thatch
For more information, see the following sections: